Thursday, January 14, 2010

45*21

when I first met him he was pounding a nail into his nose
can I take your picture?
It's a buck to get into see and a buck for a picture of me
the rides were spinning behind his head like octopi
I used to think the voice from the center said "kill whitey"
you said no, but I said why not
when going to the subway one day I noticed the Terminal Hotel
for the first time. Windows all boarded up
and I thought that is where the end begins
I went to get my camera sweaty from hauling groceries
got back to the crib. one kid naked on the carpet
the other brushing back sweaty hair
there was sand between my toes that got there by wind
set the groceries down next to the plastic Santa
and began making dinner
the magic of the Wonder Wheel rising up in my window
the choppers muffler let out loud and flat sounds
into a now growing dark, pop the cap on a pilsner
and watch the wheel stay still for hours
hear the door knob jiggle and know it was night
later I would take the picture I would never take

No comments: